Thursday 25 October 2018

Once upon a time: to smartphones and podcast apps




Once upon a time, many years ago, when I was a child, I used to dream of owning a magic book that would contain every comic strip, poem, fact and story that I'd ever desire. 

It was the period in my life that I listened to a tiny radio under the bedclothes late at night, on medium wave to Luxy 208, BBC Deutsche, Radio Tirana, Radio Sweden and music from all manner of stations across Europe.

I wished for a small radio powerful enough to hear stations from further afield, just like I could hear on my grandfather's shortwave radio.

Today, that dream is a reality. The smartphone in my hand, on my pillow, in my kitchen as I cook, does it all.

Today's newspapers, anything I want from the internet. Streaming any radio station I fancy, be it Bosnian or Uruguayan.  Listening to shortwave receivers and tuning them, from New Zealand to the Netherlands. And podcasts, oh my gosh, podcasts.



I've used many different podcast apps on my Android phone but Google's podcast app works best for me. It seems to give me almost all of the content I want, from Radio Prague to The Guilty Feminist, Radio Canada International to the Night Vale. One of the best presents of 2018, free of charge.

8 comments:

Clipping Solutions said...


Wow! this is a great and helpful piece of info.
Photo Editing Services

Md Enamul Hoq said...

Hey, So amazing . Liked and admired your great shared post . Thank you . Clipping Path | Remove White Background | Product Photo Editing

PY2255 SWL said...

Good morning, friends of this blog.
I found it very good full of thing and good subjects to read and apply on the radio day day.
I also have a Blog ''QSL do Brasil'' on radio thank you to any friend to visit and leave a message a comment or even a hello.
Oliveira PU2OLT
SP/SP
Br

URGENT LOAN OFFER WHATSAPP +918929509036 said...

Are you tired of seeking loans and Mortgages,have you been turned down constantly By your banks and other financial trial will convince you.What are your Financial needs?Do you need a business loan?Do you need a personal loan?Do you want to buy a car?Do you want to refinance?Do you need a mortgage loan?Do you need a huge capital to start off your business proposal or expansion? Have you lost hope and you think there is no way out, and your financial burdens still persists? Contact us (fastloanoffer34@gmail.com) Your Name:............... Your Country:............... Your Occupation:............... Loan Amount Needed:............... Loan Duration............... Monthly Income:............... Your Telephone Number:..................... Business Plan/Use Of Your Loan:............... Contact Us At : fastloanoffer34@gmail.com Phone number :+918929509036

pierciiiiingss said...

Hello, I want to have one of these piercing models, but I am unsure. Can you look at it?

Black Hole Piercing

Vch Piercing

Bridge Piercing

Tragus Piercing

Snake Bite Piercing

Tragus Piercing & Piercing

Sadhan Chandra Barmon said...

Nice Article with Excellent tips
Clipping Path
Background Removal
Shadow Making
Product Photo Edit

Wiz Cut Out said...

wiz cut out is one of the most popular offshore outsourcing images editing service provider. Which provides perfect image editing which you desire. We have a expert team worker giving you very best services with excellent quality of image Clipping Path, Photo Retouching Service.

Photoshop Clipping Path Expert said...

Nice to read the blog, thanks

Clipping Path Service Provider
Professional Photo Cut Out

Once upon a time: to smartphones and podcast apps

Once upon a time, many years ago, when I was a child, I used to dream of owning a magic book that would contain every comic strip, poe...